If you’re a football fan, then you’re probably already aware that this is the NFL’s 100th Season. To celebrate, the league has organized a number of initiatives to generate fan excitement. (Hey, a century is worth celebrating!)
They have an entire website dedicated to the 100th season. They’ve branded 2019 merchandise with the “100th Season” logo. They’re hosting a number of events in cities around the U.S. AND they’re producing content surrounding the major milestone (“100 Best Plays,” “100 Iconic Photos,” etc.).
All this got me thinking...if your association or chamber of commerce has a milestone coming up, could you also organize a few celebratory initiatives?
- Create your own special swag marking the milestone (You could either give that swag away at one of your major events or sell it as part of a non-dues revenue initiative)
- Note: Swag like this typically sells well because it’s limited edition
- Create milestone-related content
- “X of Our Favorite Moments from the Past X Years”
- “X Years of [Organization XYZ]: A Picture Story”
- Ask your members to submit their favorite moment(s), either in story or picture form (You could then feature those on your blog, in your newsletter, in your quarterly publication, on social media, etc.)
- Organize contests surrounding the milestone number (For example, “Win X free months of membership to celebrate X years!”)
- Make it the theme of your annual conference, gala, or other major event
- Publish “Behind the scenes” photos or videos showcasing what’s gone into managing your organization over the past however many years
- Interview former members (maybe those who were once heavily involved, but are now retired) and board members
The possibilities are endless!
Regardless of what initiatives you decide to organize, just remember, the main goal here is engagement. It’s about bringing your members and staff - both past and present - together to celebrate not only the existence of your organization, but everything you’ve been able to achieve over the years.
If you’ve done anything to celebrate an organizational milestone, we’d love to hear about it in the comments below!
And for more tips regarding member engagement, check out our free guide: