Social media marketing has the potential for exceptional results, and the right tools can help you get them.
SEMrush’s Social Media Toolkit is one of those tools, and many of our users have already discovered the value of our tracking and publishing solutions, which are available for 5 different networks: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and LinkedIn.
Below you can learn about the unique tool features and benefits for each network:
Our toolkit is divided into two sectors: the Social Media Poster and the Social Media Tracker. The former has publication and scheduling tools, while the other has analytics and social benchmarking features. Both are linked to each other, giving you full access to all the data and resources needed to create and manage a strong social media campaign.
We have discovered that a large number of our toolkit's benefits have remained largely unexplored by our subscribers. In addition to scheduling and posting tools, we also have unique features tailor-made to help you excel on each individual platform. These features were created with user behavior, marketing needs, and the specific restrictions on each individual platform.
In this guide, we’ll show you how to get the most out of our Social Media Toolkit on every platform, starting with Facebook.
SEMrush for Facebook Business
Facebook is still one of the most essential social media marketing platforms you can use, and we’ll show you how SEMrush can help you make the most of it.
How SEMrush Can Help
Scheduling and posting are clearly two of the biggest appeals to our Social Media Poster, but it comes with a number of distinct features that you won’t always find with other scheduling tools. These include:
- Multiple Scheduling and Publication Options — Sometimes you may want to schedule a single post once; in other cases, you may want to recycle the content, publishing evergreen content on a regular basis or upgrading and repurposing older content. These features can ensure you never miss an opportunity with the posts you’ve worked hard to create.
Create Drafts — Jot dot ideas, or even full-fledged posts that you want to circle back to later. You can save your content in drafts to edit and publish at a later date. This is an excellent asset for team collaboration, as it gives multiple team members a chance to review a post before it’s scheduled.
Set Up Post Queues — Posting daily can help you maintain consistency (which Facebook stresses) and keep your audience engaged, and queues can help with this. Create a feed of “queued” content. This content can fill any empty slots in your schedule.
- Create Short, Trackable Links — UTMs will help you better track where your online traffic is coming from, and knowing that they came to you from social is a huge advantage. Our UTM builder and link shortener allow you to create short, likely-to-be-clicked, highly-trackable links.
Post From RSS Feeds — You can share a variety of content quickly to ensure that your diverse audience members will find the content they love. Share a combination of video, photos, and Stories to keep your entire audience engaged.
- Create and View aA Editorial Calendar — Our calendar has options for monthly, weekly views, and timeline (next 5 days) making it easier to create effective, impactful campaigns over a series of time.
Preview Before Posting — See previews of how your post will appear on both desktop and mobile before it goes live so you can make sure everything looks great.
Image Editing Options — SEMrush has a built-in image editor that contains filters, stickers, drawing tools, and more to keep things engaging. Quickly add the image effects of your choice, adjust the size of the image, and use it to create a Facebook profile pic, cover photo, ad picture, or post image. While this feature is available for all platforms, it has Facebook-exclusive features to create Facebook profile pictures, cover photos, and ads images. We have an article that will help you create attractive, high-quality images that will appeal to multiple audiences with SEMrush’s Image Editor.
- Personalized Scheduling Insights — When creating posts in our scheduler, you will see insights into when your fans are most active online, giving you an idea of the most impactful time to schedule your post.
Post Booster — This feature allows you to promote your existing posts, automatically bringing up an ad campaign by clicking the boost button. All you need to do is enter in the campaign goals, set a schedule and budget, and then define your audience. Once you submit the ad, it will be submitted to Facebook for approval, and you can monitor it through the SEMrush dashboard.
Curate Content Online and Share It — This is a feature for advanced users. Our Google Chrome extension allows you to quickly share any images, text, and content you find online, turning it into a Facebook post your audience will love:
Planning a social content calendar is an essential step for most social media professionals. See some of the most common mistakes social media managers make when planning a social media content calendar and learn how to avoid them!
SEMrush’s Social Media Tracker and Poster both have analytics information for Facebook, with the Poster having information on your business account while the Tracker offers more competitive analysis and benchmarking. Under the ‘Analytics’ tab in the Poster, you can discover valuable information about your Facebook audience, including their demographics, their location, and what posts they respond to specifically.
In the ‘Posts’ tab, you will be able to view all of your drafted, scheduled, and published posts. You can reschedule or edit them right from the dashboard, along with evaluating their past performance with metrics such as likes, shares, comments, clicks, and impressions. This data is useful; not only can you see what worked in the past to shape your campaigns, but you can also identify high-performing posts to repurpose.
SEMrush’s Social Media Tracker gives you the option to not only analyze your posts and your social progress on Facebook but also to compare your performance directly against your competition. You can examine data from the past 60 days and see how you measure up against your fiercest competitors in terms of followers, activity, and engagement.
If you want to review how specific posts performed, you can even search based on the hashtags, photo, video or text-only content within them.
As you are assessing the performance of your campaigns and your competitors’, you will be able to see what types of posts and campaigns your audience is most responsive to, allowing you to create more of it moving forward (and repurpose some of it right away!).
Be sure to check out our post on how to uncover your competitors’ social media strategies.
We have both paid and free subscriptions of our Social Media Poster and Social Media Tracker tools. Facebook is available with the free versions of both but limits you to 5 profiles for tracking, and 2 for posting, with a limit of 10 scheduled posts between the two accounts.
Twitter is an excellent platform to share and discuss the latest news and information with your audience, and the expansion from 140 characters to 280 is a huge asset for businesses. Let’s take a look at how our Social Media Toolkit can help you reach and engage with your target audience on the platform. SEMrush’s Social Media Poster Twitter features can help you abide by these guidelines, and hit all of their best practices, too.
Twitter-Friendly Scheduling Options — You can schedule and publish posts, create drafts, and set up queued content on Twitter, just as you would on Facebook. The tool takes Twitter’s posting requirements into account and won’t let you post the same tweet to several different accounts; this can help you avoid a misstep that could result in penalties.
- Queued Content for Optimal Consistency — According to Twitter’s own best practices, there is no right or wrong number of times you should tweet, but it is preferable to create a consistent and regular schedule. Queued content allows you to do this, creating a library of content that will fill empty slots on your schedule.
- Post and Draft Management Features — You can review all published, scheduled, and draft posts and edit or reschedule them at any point. You can do this under the ‘Posts’ tab, along with assessing your post’s performance in terms of likes, retweets, and replies.
- Use Word Count to Keep Your Tweets Brief — Shorter content is preferred on Twitter, and the word count tool in our posting wizard will help you stay on target, showing you how many characters you have left for your Tweet.
- Review Posts Before Publication — The Page preview allows you to see how your Tweets will appear on both the mobile app and desktop sites, ensuring that your content looks great and nothing essential is cropped out.
- Edit Images On-site Before Posting — You can only post up to four images and one GIF on Twitter, and you want them to be great. Our built-in image editor allows you to add text overlay, stickers, and frames onto the images of your choice, along with adjusting image characteristics like brightness or saturation. Since Twitter doesn’t recommend using standard stock photos, this tool can help you make something more unique your audience will respond to.
View Your Editorial Calendar — See your entire editorial calendar on a monthly, weekly, or timeline view. Having a big picture look at how your content is spaced out will help you see any gaps along with making it easier to create cohesive, impactful campaigns.
Automate Link Sharing — Our trackable UTMs and short links are particularly valuable on Twitter, where character counts are so limited and so crucial. Use our on-platform link shortener to save yourself time, and incorporate UTMs for ultra-reliable tracking.
- Schedule Retweets in Chrome —This is a feature for advanced users. Our Сhrome extension allows you to schedule any content, including posts, images, or even selected text with one click from anywhere online. You can also schedule retweets.
Our Social Media Tracker for Twitter will provide you with valuable analytics and benchmarks for you and your competitors, helping you to assess where you stand in relation to them in terms of post-performance and audience information. You can switch between the following tabs to analyze all aspects of your accounts.
The Mentioners and Mentions reports are exclusive to Twitter, allowing you to easily monitor your reputation, see what is being said about you online, and find influencers who are talking about you. This information could help you identify potential brand advocates or influencers to partner with.
The hashtags report is also particularly valuable on Twitter; the right hashtag can expand your reach and boost engagement significantly. Find your top-performing hashtags, and see who else is using them.
What You Can Get with the Free Subscription
Twitter features are available with the free version of our Social Media Toolkit and will allow you to have access to up to 5 profiles for the Social Media Tracker and 2 in our Social Media Poster. There is a limit of 10 scheduled posts between the two connected profiles.
SEMrush for Instagram Business
Instagram is a visual-first platform, where the biggest emphasis is on gorgeous, engaging images and videos. The platform has higher-than-average engagement rates, with some brands seeing as much as 10x more engagement on Instagram than on Facebook.
SEMrush has scheduling and analytics features that will help you create, schedule, manage and understand the impact of posts that will resonate with your audience.
There are multiple scheduling and publishing features that will benefit business and social media managers when it comes to Instagram posting. These include:
Streamlined publications — You can create your content ahead of time on desktop with our scheduler, and then get a notification when it is time to post your content live on Instagram.
Multiple Scheduling Options — While there is no “Post Now” option like other platforms have, the ability to create and schedule content far in advance with scheduled, drafted, and queued posts will ensure you never miss an opportunity to reach your audience. To take full advantage of this, you can even see when your fans are most active online right from the posting wizard.
- Make Your Images Pop — Visuals are exceedingly important on Instagram, and you can use our built-in image editor to help your content stand out. Consider focusing on sharing experiences instead of exclusively on products to maximize engagement, and use high color saturation for maximum engagement.
Double Check Your Posts Before Scheduling — Make sure that your posts look great; you can save them into a draft so they can be reviewed by a team member, and you can use our page preview to see how the image will appear on mobile and desktop. If you are unhappy with how the image is cropped, take it back to our image editor.
Review Your Editorial Calendar — Get a full monthly, weekly, or timeline view of all the content you have published and have scheduled all at once; this will give you that "big-picture view" that can be so beneficial in creating effective campaigns.
Source Great Images From Anywhere — This is a feature for advanced users. Use our Chrome extension to share images or text from anywhere online, converting it quickly into an Instagram post your followers will love.
- Edit Your Calendar At Any Point — In the ‘Posts’ tab, you can view all of your published, scheduled, and draft posts. You can reschedule or edit them, and even add them back into the queue depending on how well they performed. If you want to review specific content, you can filter posts by keyword and post type.
Full Instagram Business analytics are available in our Tracker tool, but you can also get in-depth information about your audience under the ‘Analytics’ tab in our Social Media Poster. The Poster will provide reports on your audience’s demographics, when they are online, and how exactly they are interacting with your posts.
Use this information to learn more about who your followers are on Instagram and to see exactly how they are interacting with your content. If, for example, you are hoping to drive traffic off-platform but aren’t getting a lot of site clicks, you can focus on creating more content that features CTAs driving people to your profile bio link.
In the Social Media Tracker, you can compare your Instagram Business performance against your competitors’, giving you a better idea of how your content and strategies are holding up against theirs.
You can see who is gaining followers at faster rates, who is getting more engagement, and even how your posting schedule compares to theirs. The hashtag report will also show you if any of your competitors are using your top hashtags, so you can see if you are on the right track.
Instagram scheduling and tracking is available with the free version of the tool. You can connect up to two profiles, and schedule up to 10 posts between the two accounts.
SEMrush for LinkedIn
LinkedIn is a must-use platform for B2B businesses, and it is the only true professional social media marketing site. The platform has evolved in the past few years, offering new features to keep users engaged, and it is a great way to establish brand awareness alongside finding new partners, clients, and even employees.
SEMrush’s Social Media Toolkit will help you create, share, and identify your most engaging content on this professional social media marketing site. LinkedIn has the ability to connect with people who can help you advance your business, so you don’t want to neglect it.
Scheduling & Posting
The Social Media Poster has scheduling and posting functionality, with features tailored to this specific platform. These are the features you can benefit from on LinkedIn:
- Diverse Scheduling Options — If you want to post immediately, schedule content, save content into a draft for a team member to review it, or even have specific posts go live multiple times on different dates, you can do that. Recurrent posting of evergreen content is welcome here, especially if you are sharing information like career opportunities that people may be actively looking for.
Our scheduling options, including our queued content, can ensure that you are maintaining a consistent posting schedule that will look professional and help you attract the right kind of engagement.
- Shorten Links to Create Clickable Content — Shorter links can fit into posts without seeming overwhelming, therefore potentially giving them a higher chance of being clicked. Use our link shortener in the posting wizard to keep your content LinkedIn-friendly and primed for clicks.
- Curate Industry-Relevant News — It is important to stay on top of your industry’s news, and it is perhaps even more important to show that you are doing so. Use our RSS feeds feature to automatically curate content from your chosen thought leaders, and let us automatically create content to share with your audience. It will make you look great and fill a slot on your schedule.
Create Pristine Images — Our built-in image editor gives you the option to add in effects like frames, stickers, and text overlay while adjusting the image’s appearance before it goes live. You can skip out on the expensive photo editing software, and use our native tool when creating the content itself. Double check how it looks with on mobile and desktop with our page preview.
Share the most relevant industry news from Anywhere Online — Found a great article somewhere online and want to share it right away? Use our posting Chrome extension to share images, posts, and texts as a LinkedIn post that your followers will be excited to discuss.
The Social Media Tracker will give you in-depth analytics of your LinkedIn account (and your account only), but it is far superior to the native analytics LinkedIn currently offers on the platform. This kind of data is difficult if not impossible to find with other platforms.
Our LinkedIn analytics will show you trends in performance on LinkedIn, including follower count, engagement rate, types of engagement, the impressions of your content, unique visitors to your profile, and the exact performance on your specific posts.
Use this information to ensure that you are on the right track, both in growing your follower and increasing engagement rates while you are consistently posting content your audience wants to see.
SEMrush for Pinterest
Pinterest is an exceptional platform for B2C businesses, providing a site where users are excited to save the content that you are creating. It is a highly visual site, so like Instagram, extra added focus must be placed on the images and videos you share here.
Most other social media management tools don’t offer any Pinterest features, including either publishing or scheduling. Our Social Media Toolkit, however, offers both for paid subscribers. We will help you map out an ideal editorial calendar, plan engaging boards, and start to drive sales from your pins.
Pinterest is not available with the free version of our Toolkit; paid subscribers have access to publishing, scheduling, and analytics tools for Pinterest accounts.
SEMrush’s Social Media Toolkit has a number of exclusive-to-Pinterest features based on a combination of the brand’s specific guidelines and how users interact with the platform. Here are the features that you need to be using:
- Automatically Access Your Boards — As soon as you connect your Pinterest account to SEMrush’s Social Media Poster, you will be able to see all of your boards as they currently exist; this will make it easier to post to them, organize future pins, and even generate new ideas.
- Utilize Different Scheduling Options —You can prioritize your own content over curated content, staying consistent in creating and publishing new pins that your audience will be excited to see. You can post immediately, or schedule content in advance. Since it is essential to maintain a consistent posting schedule, you can use queued content to automate regular publishing.
The ability to schedule your pins days, weeks, or months in advance gives you a chance to get ahead of seasonal trends, having everything lined up. Since Pinterest recommends that you start saving seasonal content 30-45 days in advance to ensure that you get the maximum traffic, this is a huge advantage. Users won’t wait until December 24th to start browsing Christmas decoration ideas, after all.
- Add URLs to pins — There is a designated area in our scheduler for pins that allows you to place the link you want to send users to. This option will create a rich pin that can be clicked and send traffic to your site, instead of just featuring the URL in the pin’s description. If you don’t want a pin to take users to a landing page, you can skip out on the URL altogether.
Because Pinterest doesn’t like to see shortened links, you won’t see a link shortener for this platform. You can still do this manually off-platform, but it is best to use the full URL here in most cases.
- Add Context to Your Pin images —Text overlay is copy that you can apply directly to your Pins, adding valuable context and telling users why they should click while helping it to stand out. Our built-in image editor will not only allow you to adjust brightness and saturation to help your pin pop but will also add that text overlay as well.
Curate Content With RSS Feeds — There is a lot of value to be had in curating and sharing third-party content that is relevant to your followers. All you have to do is connect to your favorite media, and the tool will pull images from those links and convert them into pins.
Create Visually Engaging Pins From Anywhere Online — An important part of Pinterest is the ability to send users from the platform to the site of your choice where they can learn more, read more, and purchase. Use our Chrome extension to create incredible pins from anywhere online without ever having to head to the platform.
Looking to better optimize your content for Pinterest? This article shares best practices for Pinterest optimization in 2019.
The Social Media Tracker will give you analytics of your Pinterest account alongside those of your competitors. You can view information on the following five tabs:
- Assess the performance and engagement on your individual pins, including total engagement, engagement rate, saves, and the number of comments:
- Get information on your audience, including follower growth trends:
- See overall account activity, like posting frequency:
View overall engagement on your account:
- Evaluate your list of boards to identify top-performing boards in terms of followers, number of pins, and engagement:
Social media marketing can help a business define its brand while connecting with their target audience(s) at the same time, making it a crucial marketing channel that should not be neglected.
Strategy is critical when it comes to creating successful social marketing campaigns, so having strong scheduling and analytics tools is essential. Creating posts themselves is only one part of the process, and it is often the easiest one. The scheduling, the strategy, and the analytics are all much harder, which is why you need the right tools to help.
Ready to sign up for our Social Media Toolkit for free? Get started here...